In a world of commoditized products and services, it is important to set yourself apart. While this example is extreme, each time you see one of these little cars in the future, I guarantee you that this one will stick in your mind.
I encourage you to dare to differentiate. Here are some steps that you can take:
- Determine what will set you apart, gathering information from your sales and service front line
- Talk to your customers, as it is important to get their input on your ideas
- Don't forget to talk to lost customers and to your prospects
- If you are going to charge for the product, test the willingness to pay (focus groups are a good way to do this)
- Map out your rollout plan, including both the PR and the implementation and support plans
Don't forget to "toot your horn" as you come out with the new product!