According to a report from ComScore, U.S. consumers spent more than $100 billion on online travel bookings last year, making 2012 the first year ever that the $100 billion figure was surpassed.
U.S. travel e-commerce sales reached $103 billion in 2012, up 9 percent
from the previous year. This is a big deal, right?
After 15 years after the shift of the travel industry from the agency
driven model to onilne, the industry is still growing at nearly double
digit rates year over year. But even though we were pioneers of online
sales, we still have a long way to go in making online the channel of
The fact of the matter is that there are
nearly 2 billion trips taken each year in the US and in 2011 travel
spending in the US topped $813 billion. So while $100 billion in online
revenues is impressive for any industry, it is far from being the
dominant method of purchasing.
Nearly two-thirds of all online travel spending was for air travel, up 10 percent from the
previous year. From this, one would think that air travelers represent the bulk of the opportunity online. Guess again.
Air travel represents just 15% of all travel in this country. Out of 100 people that take a trip, just 15 of them fly. The remaining 85% drive (either their own cars or a rental vehicle).
To make progress online, we must shift our focus away from the air-centric view that we have today.
So imagine what tapping into the 85% that drive would yield if the online travel community would learn how to harness these travelers. For more information on this opportunity, download Dare to Differentiate, a complementary white paper on the drive market or join Project 85 to stay abreast of the developments on the drive market front.
According to ComScore, as for the leading air travel
providers, Southwest Airlines had the most page views, with 20 percent
market share. It was followed by Delta and United Airlines.
Expedia ranked as the top site in the online travel agents category with
32 percent share, followed by Priceline at 17 percent and Orbitz at 13
In reference to " Richard Anderson, Delta Air Lines (5Q Interview) " As a follow on to my earlier article last week about doing...
I am now going to shift gears away from online technology and the role that they play in the travel distribution ecosystem to a topic that I...
You fully understand that rung #1 of the ladder is spamming and you've gotten past rung #2, noise. You get it -- that in order to reall...
UPDATED - March 12, 2014 Well, in the world of travel distribution on the OTA side of the equation, if Travelocity was the "come...
2011 starts today – The Era of Social Commerce is here - Solutionz Media and GuestCentric Systems partnership announcedIn the "The Future of the Social Web," report released by Forrester in April 2009, by Jeremiah Owyang, a Forrester senior analys...
Part 2 of a 2 Part Series on Individual Relationship Management (IRM) versus Customer Relationship Management (CRM) which is flawed B...
I love this quote by Thomas Edison about opportunity. "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and loo...
AAA reports that Memorial Day traffic will be up - with the drive market representing the lion's shareNEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Memorial Day travel is expected to increase this year, thanks to healthier economic conditions, according to a r...
Lots of leaders will say thank you but have you ever worked for a leader that was great at acknow...